My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Monday, May 14, 2007

not quite at wits end... but getting there

It's been a challenging week. Yesterday for instance, started with Mum packing up her things putting it in front of the house and saying good-bye to the neighbors. For the past week she has been obsessing that I have sold the house and that someone has bought her property. All of this was transpiring while I was trying to set up a Mother's Day lunch in the front yard. (More on the lunch later.) In the evening, convinced that I was an ogre for refusing to drive her to said property she began canvasing the neighbors to take her to this elusive new abode.

This morning after I had served her breakfast I got on the computer for a bit in my office in the back. As per usual I went to check up on her on the hour to find her gone. One neighbor had seen her heading in an easterly direction. I walk around the block and see nary a sign of her. This same neighbor offers to drive me to locate her. 3 blocks away we find her... get her into the car and get her back home. Again, she was heading out to her elusive phantom property... not actually having any idea as to where it actually is.

So, now I have to get a latch for the front door (that is out of reach to her) so that these episodes do not occur again without me knowing. If she his going to leave it will have to be by the back door where I am in eyeshot from my garage office. I would now go into my daily routine of laundry, dishes, cooking, etc but won't lest I be accused of self congratulatory indulgence.

THE UPSHOT
My neighbors have been gems about all of this. Because I have been involved between daily house chores and trying to eak out a living on my computer I have neglected the care of the front yard. This Saturday a couple of neighbors took care of that. The others are aware of Mum's condition and will keep a watchful eye on her.

A couple of friends like APJ have been of great assistance in facilitating many practical needs... groceries, etc. Kowboi, Mustang and Steph have come over to help pick Mum up whenever she has fallen. Then good folks like Thereminman will call every so often just to say "hi" and offer support. His lovely wife has also been a wonderful font of information on social service resources. Aunts of my ex-wife come by every week just to say Hi. RP and wife are planning to come by to help with some cleanup. Many of you online have left comments of support that is much appreciated. Others like Trashed and family (who live 400 odd miles away) came by after their trip to Yosemite to spend lunch with Mum yesterday. Mum thrives on company so this was a special treat for her. That was the really nice part of yesterday.

So, if you live in the big NO and want to help (yes, I'm asking)... even coming by to spend half an hour chatting with Mum or taking her for a drive... do so. She loves company. She may not remember you but try not to take that personally.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home