My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, January 21, 2007

spicy fried rice topped with an...

... onion omelet. That started off my day today. I haven't had this for breakfast in a while. Just had a hankering for it so I made it happen within 20 minutes. The coffee is on the brew and that will just cap the whole thing off. Don't get me wrong... I like the standard breakfast. But for me... this is comfort food. Now, what shall I do for lunch?

A post that Kien wrote recently got me thinking about this. I have often waxed poetic about the food from Malaysia... especially the street variety. I've enjoyed various foods from cultures around the world... really enjoy trying them. OK, I like food. I happen to think that it is the essence and soul of any culture. Food is the most immediate source that defines that culture. It tells you what they think and feel about life. Their life's philosophies are wrapped up in what they eat and how they like it prepared. Of course, it is also dependent on what is readily available in their region of the world. But it is what they do to it... their value in taste that determines how a dish turns out. The differences even in regions of the same country are quite amazing to behold.

I have often thought about taking food tours of different countries. In fact, I once suggested organizing a food tour of Malaysia... where you will never eat the same meal twice. A friend once traveled with me back home and her entire travel journal was filled with what we ate. I would ask her what we did on a certain day and she would quiz back with "before or after we ate fish and mango curry?" Quite funny really.

p.s. BTW... my cordless keyboard and mouse gave up the ghost today. No services are planned but donations to a good cause will be accepted.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home